- Find us
- Latest News
- Alice's Icelandic Adventure
- Hale Celebrate WTD17
- Baden Powell Adventures
- Claire House fundraising
- Timperley spread the word of our Comfort Bags scheme
- Urmston Senior Section live it up!
- HSBC Bank at Ashley
- Timperley Rainbows have a Marvellous time!
- Rangers have a ball at Centenary finale
- Members go the extra mile for hospital patients
- Community Action – Comfort Bags Update
- Contact Us
- Remembrance day 2015
- Go Orange for Orangutans!
- Volunteering Award
- Internationals 2015
- Ashley website facelift!
- Judiths Gathering 2015
- Summer Gig 2015
- Growing Guiding, Partington
- Easter Bonnet Competition
- Ashley Update 2015
- County Watersports Day
- Fun Outdoors!
- Bike Ride
- Big Brownie Birthday
- 6th Higher Broughton Rainbows
- 10 Downing Street
- Adventure for Eccles
- Brownie badge collection
- Inspiring Women recognised
- Winter Wonderland 2015
- My First Guide Camp
- 7th Sale Moor Guides work together to run a fundraiser for ‘The Christie’
- Girls take the lead and create challenge badge
- Davyhulme District Guides take on the ‘Tunnel of Doom’ at The Crocky Trail!
- Sale Trefoil Guild Bonfire Get-together
- 7th Davyhulme Brownies celebrate their 35th Birthday on the sea bed!
- Rangers from Urmston take aim at Altrincham Target Sports Centre
- Community Action – 4th Urmston Guides raise money for Cancer Research
- 1st and 2nd Sale Moor Rainbows go on a Bear Hunt!
- Community Action – Supporting Salford Royal Hospital
- Community Action – Operation Christmas Child
- Walkden East District Lightwater Valley trip
- Timperley Rainbows enjoy a day trip using Gift Aid
- A great day at Monton Festival
- Bowdon District holds Big Brownie Birthday event at Red House Farm!
- Brownie Stay Away 2014
- Salford Museum 2014
- GMW Brownies Celebrate Big Brownie Birthday at Salford Museum
- Hooray for Betty! Girlguiding Greater Manchester West Congratulates Oldest Member on Award
- A Stay Away to remember at Kingswood!
- Big Brownie Birthday Star Quest!
- Big Brownie Birthday Exhibition
- A Grand Opening of the Region Headquarters
- Thank you to Joyce from Monton Guides
- 3rd Altrincham Guides talk about equality for girls
- A modern twist on Snow White!
- Brownies enjoy their first trip to Blackpool
- Going Away Adventures Summer 2013
- 12th Altrincham Guides return from exciting adventure in Dublin!
- 3rd Altrincham Guides celebrate their achievements
- Summer Gig a Great Success
- New Brownie Unit Opening
- Brownies interviewed by Radio Manchester
- Lightwater Valley
- Manchester Marathon
- Stretford Mall Event
- Hettich present cheque to Davyhulme Guides
Alice's Icelandic Adventure
"I love that I was given the opportunity learn new skills and to experience an international adventure to such a breathtaking place"
At the end of July, Alice Bruce from Sale took part in a North West Region International Adventure to Iceland for 11 days; visiting the capital city Rekjavik, Solheimar Ecovillage and the Northern town of Akureyri.
We learnt about sustainability in Iceland
For the service project we helped at an Ecovillage which provides a home and employment for disabled and able bodied people from around the world. We tended to the gardens by clearing paths and potting plants as well as talking to some residents and baking cookies for sale in the local shop.
This was a wonderful experience as we learnt about how people are acting sustainably in Iceland. We met people from differing backgrounds and were able to constructively help them.
Shouting out about Recycling and Sustainability
We spent a day in the Reykjavik City Hostel with a team called ‘The Green Messengers’ who were working in Iceland to help make hostels more sustainable and environmentally friendly, which is especially important in a place with such a precious natural environment. We were told about their initiatives and helped make posters which have been put up in the hostel for international campers to understand how to recycle properly.
We went Whale watching!
We saw some incredible sights including Geysir, Gulfoss and an Icelandic summer sunset. We had an action packed adventure including Whale watching and exploring the small towns. I really loved playing games and completing fun challenges with my wonderful new friends who I met along the way; they truly are friends for life.